Monday, April 12, 2010

Chiangmai

Ok, I decided i'd give Poppa Joe's another try, but I got there at 4:55 and they close at 5 PM. Don't ask me how that works, but it's their business. Strike two for them.




So, still hungry and in the Souhegan Valley, I figured on heading to Chiangmai down on 101A in Amherst. It's conveniently located, their hours are wierd too, but they were open, and I was hungry. And since I caught them on the beginning of their dinner hours during a weekend, the place was empty.



As General Tso's has become the barometer for all non-old school Chinese places, Larb Gai is a good barometer for Thai restaurants. If you've never had it before, Larb Gai is basically a garden salad with some shallots, cilantro, chilies and lime covered in shredded chicken. It's so popular in Southeast Asia that it is the national dish of Laos.



The Larb Gai here is good, but overpriced. You can get superior Larb Gai for a lower price down the street aways at Thon Kao (i'll write a review on them soon, i'm surprised I haven't yet). What you're paying for at Chiangmai is the ambience, which again, is nice enough, but isn't downtown Manhattan or anything.


I can't say I was disappointed with the meal, but I know that given the market this restaurant is in, they should be aiming for a higher standard.

Time of Day: 5:15 PM/Weekend

Speed of Service: 15 Minutes (Sit Down)

Price: $10.95

Meal: Larb Gai

No comments:

Post a Comment