Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Joey's Place -- Buffalo Chicken

On the border of Amherst and Merrimack (and technically Hollis if you want to split hairs), there's a 50's theme diner called "Joey's Place". I believe it may have had other names over the years, I can't remember to be honest. Either way though, for awhile it's been a 50's diner, and that has made me wary of it because restaurant gimmicks just seem like excuses to skimp on taste, service and price.
Man, was I wrong.

I ordered the Buffalo Chicken. Yes, Buffalo Chicken hadn't been invented in the 1950s (It was invented in 1964 by Teresa Bellissimo, co-owner of the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York), and yes I have written alot of Buffalo Chicken related stories recently (I will write a comparison piece soon, I promise), but goddamn were these ones good.

As you can see from the photo above, there's a balance between the "dry" and "wet" style, but it grasps the all the strengths of each school of thought in the Buffalo Chicken pantheon. Fans of either kind of Buffalo Chicken will be happy there.

Its texture was also fantastic, adding a layer of crunchiness that did not detract from the sauce but only complimented it.

The price was great in comparison to similiar versions of this meal that can be found elsewhere, and the service was pretty good; I was seated quickly, I got my food quickly given the time of day, and the waitress got my check quickly after I asked and did ask every now and then if I needed something, but not too much.

And on top of that, they serve breakfast and lunch simultaneously all day.

I may just need another trip to Joey's. This is a hidden gem on 101A to be sure.

Meal: Buffalo Chicken
Price: $8.71
Speed of Service: 10 minutes
Time of Day: 12:30, weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment