Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Toyko Steakhouse -- Genji Special

 
In South Nashua, there's a showdown among Teppanyaki Japanese restaurants between the old school in Tokyo Steakhouse and the new school in Takumi.

Takumi is hip and trendy, with a coy pond in the lobby and a vodka bar annex and a shinto rock garden next to the luncheon buffet. Tokyo Steakhouse doesn't have much more than what you see on the menu and what you see being cooked in front of you on the tables.

Both provide fairly decent food, and I already reviewed Takumi's lunch buffet, so I figured it was Tokyo Steakhouse's turn.

Fortunately for me I got there for lunch, because the prices skyrocket after dark. It was fortunate for them too since there were only two other customers there besides me, despite the fact it was the height of the lunch rush.
My order for this visit was the Genji Special, three pieces of shrimp along with fifteen or twenty quarter ounce morsels of terriyaki chicken, grilled in front of you of course, with vegetables, sprouts and a broth of mushroom, scallion and french fried onions for an appetizer.

I considered going for some sushi, but the extra dollar fifty for fried rice instead of white rice seemed to be enough here. That extra dollar fifty might be the difference for some patrons in choosing between here and Takumi, but it wasn't a make or break.

All in all, I left satisfied, but I would be worried if I owned the Tokyo Steakhouse. Both this restaurant and Takumi are quality choices and there are only so many restaurant dollars from consumers to go around, and I don't think there's any real key selling point that would bring me here versus Takumi. Both are pretty good, I would leave it to chance given their proximity.

No comments:

Post a Comment