Thursday, June 10, 2010

Tortilla Flat -- Flautas

The town of Merrimack, New Hampshire is technically made up of three towns: Reed's Ferry, Thornton's Ferry and the central part of Merrimack, sometimes called Souhegan Village.

And what Lobster Boat is to that central section of town, Tortilla Flat is to Reed's Ferry.

This restaurant has been around for umpteen million years. It's Mexican with a slight Tex-Mex flair, but the dank decor has always seemed geared towards cheap cervezas in their bar while watching a game rather than a meal.

So, my expectations were not high when I came here for lunch. And I apologize for this photo of these flautas, but the low price made me think that the price to value ratio was fairly high out of what I got.

The flautas were an appetizer, yet filling enough for a meal. Filled with multiple kinds of meat, covered in some melted jack cheese, and accompanied with cilantro, shredded lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream, this dish really hit the spot.

Prior to the meal, Flat's nachos were warm, but not microwave warm and the sauce was fairly fresh. Maybe the sauce was canned and the nachos were from a bag somewhere, but I could not tell. Maybe give me another few hundred of these reviews and I will, but I couldn't today.

The service was adequate as well, but I think what took the cake was that it was about half the price of El Tapatio with nearly as much food. There are only three Mexican restaurants in Merrimack. We'll have to see if the flautas at Amigo's Cantina can take the prize away here, so far Tortilla Flat is in the lead in the Merrimack Mexican Flauta Challenge.

In the meantime though, Tortilla Flat certainly exceeded my expectations even if those expectations were low and they did themselves alot of favors with the low price. If I had ordered something more substantial, I have a feeling I might have been so favorable here.

Meal: Flautas
Price: $6.53
Speed of Service: 15 minutes
Time of Day: 12:45 Weekday

No comments:

Post a Comment