Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Kowloon Wasabi -- General Tso's and Oshinko Roll

Usually a dumpy strip mall is a clear sign that any restaurant inside it is going to be a poor quality dive establishment. But you can't judge a book by its cover, because there are always exceptions to the rule.
Sometimes the exceptions are just adequate, and then sometimes like in the case of Kowloon Wasabi on 101A in Milford, in between the Oval and the Milford Bypass Junction, you get much better than mere adequacy.

Kowloon Wasabi is a pan-Asian restaurant, well Japanese and Chinese, but that's "pan" enough to be classified as "pan" I suppose. The interior is not as bad as the plaza looks on the outside, but what I was pleased with was the food.

It was lunch time when I went there, and I figured I'd subject this place to the General Tso's test, because even if they failed, I could order some Chicken Fingers. If a Chinese-American restaurant cannot get Chicken Fingers right, it should be shut down by a health inspector, let alone a food critic.

But, suffice it to say, they passed the test. On top of that, the sauce balanced well with the Fried Rice and Chicken Fingers, which were both also fairly good. And this was just the main course.

They also offered Hot and Sour Soup as an accompaniment to the meal, and I ordered an Oshinko Roll as well to get a taste of the Japanese side of things at the restaurant as well. Both were well recieved by my taste buds.

I'd be happy to recommend this establishment to anyone who is looking for good Chinese food in the Milford area and can judge a book by more than its cover.

Meal: General Tso's Chicken Lunch Special with Fried Rice and Oshinko Roll
Price: $10.30
Speed of Service: 10 minutes
Time of Day: 11:40 AM, Weekday

No comments:

Post a Comment