Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Cantine -- Steak Burrito and Sundae

As I mentioned earlier in an earlier review, I have really gotten into the 2010 World Cup, and I wanted to see the game between the US and Ghana, but I needed to be in Peterborough almost right after the game.

Putting two and two together, this seemed like a perfect opportunity to get a bite to eat before my engagement, but where?

If you're driving by Cantine just south of downtown Peterborough, you wouldn't get an impression that it was a sports bar, but it did the trick for me on this occasion, and I would be more than happy to come back for the food.

The main course (pictured at top), was a coffee and ancho braised beef burrito, stuffed with cilantro, rico, black beans and a side of pico de gallo. The bartender/waitress was more than happy to also lend me their hot sauce, which had a piquant but balanced spicy melon flavor to it.

I would have been set right there, but the game went into extra time (overtime for us American sports fans), so I ordered their Blondie vanilla gelato sundae. The butterscotch and mint was a nice touch, but the thing that made this dish unique was the pepitos, or small shucked sunflower seeds.

This was a very pleasant experience. Even without the game, the atmosphere is a mix of worlds between the authentic Mexican decor to the little trendy touches like the avant garde (for rural New Hampshire anyway) menu design. Even the price, which was a little higher than I wanted, was within acceptable levels for the food quality.

If you get lost, Yen Yen is in the same plaza, and Cantine is a better option by far.

Meal: Steak Burrito, Sundae and Ginger Ale
Price: $19.24
Speed of Service: 10 minutes
Time of Day: 2:30 PM, Weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment