Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Grand 38 -- # S5

I apologize to anyone in advance who might live in Pelham, but for the most part it seems to be a fairly run down place in comparison to some of the other nearby towns, and this should probably be taken into account with any analysis of food service in town.

This account comes from Grand 38, which I accidentally mistook for another Chinese restaurant in town since I hadn't been to Pelham in a long time. A case in point of that shabbiness could be found here, there was a huge cracked pane of glass appearing as though it was about to shatter on the front door.

Grand 38 straddles two genres of Chinese restaurant found in the United States: the glorified bar and the take out counter. Normally, a Chinese place will have one or the other, but this one has both, and I think the owner/manager/whatever was surprised when I confused the two: I ordered my meal, an S5 special (Beef Terriyaki, Crab Rangoon and Fried Rice) and sat down in the dining room even though he gave me a take out platter without asking me whether it was here or to go.

The food was adequate, nothing to write home about, but edible enough to fill you up. I can't complain there, and the price for what you get proved to be a pretty good ratio.

Ultimately, if you're in Pelham, Grand 38 is a pretty decent option from my experience. But it wouldn't stack up if it were nearby in say, Nashua or Salem or Lowell.



Meal: S5 Special
Price: $6.00 plus tax
Speed of Service: 5 minutes
Time of Meal: 12:30 PM Weekday

No comments:

Post a Comment