Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Barley House

If you've never driven by the Barley House, you have never driven by the New Hampshire State Capitol building.

The proximity of the two has given this semi-Irish themed restaurant something of a political motif, particularly regarding the New Hampshire Primary's influence on its decor and occasional menu offerings in the past that I can't recall off the top of my head.

Today though I shyed away from that and tried a more tried and true meal: the Reuben sandwich.

I've definitely had worse deli meat, but the corned beef here was still a little too thick to be considered exceptional. Otherwise, the sandwich was fine, if a bit overpriced due to the convenience of its location.

They also offered a choice of sides and I took the cole slaw, which was a tad bitter, but overall acceptable.

Their meals also come with a free hummus dip appetizer along with pretzel and breadsticks, so that was a bonus.

I've been to the Barley House before and had some damn good meals. This one wasn't fantastic, but I can't complain. The food, along with pretty much everything else there during my visit, was fairly mundane except for the few male waiters there wearing kilts. Have they always worn kilts?

Meal: Deli Style Reuben
Price: $10.95
Speed of Service: 10 minutes
Time of Day: 12:30 PM, Weekday

No comments:

Post a Comment