Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Golden Bowl

Manchester has not been getting its fair share of reviews lately, so I decided to head over to Golden Bowl on the corner of Queen City and Brown Ave.

This place used to be home to a fantastic Thai restaurant and I wanted to see if this new Vietnamese restaurant that has taken its location is of the same caliber.

The short answer is no, the long answer is its ok but not great.
I ordered the Pad Thai and it was filling and flavorful and the wait staff was friendly. The problems were the price and the restauarant policies.
9.80 was too much for this dish, both literally and figuratively. New Hampshire has a 9 percent meals tax and without tax the meal comes out to 8.95, but if you get your calculator out, 8.95+9 percent of 8.95 equals 9.76 and they just tacked on the extra four cents because they are mathematically lazy or there is some phantom tax I don't know about.



However, that was nothing compared to the fact they have a 10 dollar minimum in really small type on the front of their menu that I didn't see and they didn't care I was only 20 cents under 10 dollars.

So I had to buy a can of coke for 1.60 when I could probably get the same can at the gas station across the street for 99 cents.

And fortunately, this didn't apply to me but they are closed on tuesdays and they charge extra for people sharing meals and take out containers. Goddamn it, this is America: we are free and so are our takeout containers. The founding fathers decreed that when they signed the declaration of independence on a tuesday in 1776 (don't stop me now if that actually wasn't the day, I'm on a roll here)

Golden bowl could be superlative if it wanted to be, but it seems it is happy with just being slightly above average.

P.S -- From here on, i'm going to try and include the price including taxes, something I did not do before.

No comments:

Post a Comment